Around 30 people caught hypothermia at an unauthorised, outdoor techno music festival in central France this weekend after it was hit by a surprise snowstorm.
Temperatures at the Teknival in Feniers, central France, unexpectedly plunged to -3 degrees overnight on Saturday and Sunday, Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported.
There were several centimetres of snow on the ground, the news agency reported.
Hypothermia occurs when people are exposed to extreme cold, and the body loses heat faster than it can generate it.
As temperatures fell this weekend, organisers installed a heated tent on the site, and the Red Cross – which typically responds to humanitarian crises – distributed 500 survival blankets to ravers, AFP said.
Most of the people who caught hypothermia at Teknival weren’t seriously affected, but two people were taken to hospital – one for hypothermia and another for a drug overdose.
The video below, published by HuffPost France, shows what the snow looked like on the ground at the festival:
Teknival is a multi-day, unauthorized electronic music festival that is held every year at a secret location, which is revealed days before the event. This year’s venue was a hilltop owned by the French military in the central Creuse region.
The military has launched an official complaint about the rave being held on its land, the BBC reported, citing French media outlet Le Parisien.
Some 10,000 people were at the festival on Saturday, but only 2,500 of them were left on Sunday, AFP reported.
French authorities tried to stop Teknival 2019 from taking place, and police managed to stop several trucks from bringing sound systems to the venue, AFP reported.